- Ph.D., University of Lausanne, Switzerland, 1983
- Invasion biology
- Ecological modeling
- Landscape and community ecology
- Plant physiological ecology
My primary research interest is the spatio-temporal modeling of disturbance regimes and plant invasions in terrestrial and freshwater ecosystems, with an emphasis on land management applications in tropical and sub-tropical environments.
- Liu, Z., Volin, J.C., Owen, V.D., Pearlstine, L.G., Allen, J.R., Mazzotti, F. J. and Higer, A.L. (2009). Validation and ecosystem applications of the EDEN water-surface model for the Florida Everglades. Ecohydrology 2:182-194.
- Givnish, T.J., Volin, J.C., Owen, V.D., Volin, V.C., Muss, J.D. and Glaser, P.H. (2008). Vegetation differentiation in the patterned landscape of the central Everglades: Importance of local and landscape drivers. Global Ecology and Biogeography
- Volin, J.C., Lott, M.S., Muss, J.D. and Owen, D. (2004). Predicting rapid invasion of the Florida Everglades by old world climbing fern(Lygodium microphyllum). Diversity and Distributions