Mary Jane Saunders
- Ph.D., University of Massachusetts - Amherst, 1982
As a long time university and scientific administrator (Louisiana State University, University of South Florida, National Science Foundation, Cleveland State University, and Florida Atlantic University) I am interested in federal, state and university support for the sciences, especially infrastructure needs. I have a special interest in recruitment and retention of minority students in science.
I am currently doing research on nanostructures using transmission electron microscopy and polarized light microscopy. My teaching areas are introductory biology, plant cell biology, analytical microscopy, grant writing and professional scientific communication.
- Xie, T.Z., Guo, K., Guo, Z., Gao, W.Y., Wojtas, L., Ning, G.H., Huang, M., Lu, X., Li, J.Y., Liao, S.Y., Chen, Y.S., Moorefield, C.N., Saunders
, M.J., Cheng, S.C.D., Wesdemiotis, C. and Newkome, G.R. (2015). Precise molecular fission and fusion: Quantitative self-assembly and chemistry of a metallo-cuboctahedron. Angew Chem Int Ed 54:9224-9229. Chosen by editors as “Very Important Paper”, chosen for cover of journal and written up as “Eureka moment in supramolecular chemistry” in Chemistry
- Xie, T.Z., Endres, K.J., Guo, Z., Ludlow,III J.M., Moorefield, C.N., Saunders, M.J., Wesdemiotis, C., Newkome, G.R. (2015). Controlled Interconversion of fac-Bistriangle, Octahedron and Cuboctahedron Cages Constructed Using a Single Terpyridinyl-based Polyligand and Zn2+. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 138 (38) 12344-12347.
- Caruso J*, Israel N, Rowland K, Lovelace M, Saunders M.J. (2016). Citizen Science: The Small World Initiative Improved Lecture Grades and California Critical Thinking Skills Test Scores of Non-science Major Students at Florida Atlantic University. J. Microbiol. Biol. Educ. 17(1):156-162 doi:10.1128/jmbe.v17i1.1011 *In memory of Dr. Joe Caruso, 2014 Small World Initiative Partner Instructor, 2008-09 National Academies of Sciences Education Fellow, and a beloved and innovative teacher.
- Ludlow,III J.M., Saunders, M.J
., Huang, M., Guo, Z., Moorefield, C.N., Cheng, S.Z., Wesdemiotis, C., Newkome, G.R. (2017). Amphiphilic Metallotriangles: Synthesis, Characterization and Hierarchical Ordering" Supramolecular Chemistry, 29:69-79.